Accolades for the Rudera Syrah Wine:
- The Rudera Syrah 2001 scored Gold at Veritas 2002; Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate, Issue 145 reviewed the 2001 as 88/100; and John Platter South African Wines Guide 2003, awarded the 2001 vintage 4 stars.
- The Rudera Syrah 2002 vintage scored 89/100 in The Wine Spectator of June 30, 2005; and 4 stars in John Platter South African Wines Guide 2005.
- The Rudera Syrah 2003 vintage scored 88/100 in The Wine Spectator February 2006 under ‘New Releases’; and the 2003 vintage scored 4 stars in John Platter South African Wines Guide 2005.
- In March 2013, the Rudera Syrah 2003 vintage was among the Top 3 Ten years old South African Red wines in the RE:CM 10 Year Old Wine Awards.
- John Platter South African Wines Guide 2007 rated the Rudera Syrah 2004 vintage 4 stars; and The Wine Spectator scored the Rudera Syrah 2004 as 89/100 in January 2007.
- John Platter South African Wines Guide 2009 rated the Rudera Syrah 2005 vintage 4 stars.
- The Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2010 rated the Rudera Syrah 2006 vintage 4½ stars.
- The Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2011 rated the Rudera Syrah 2009 vintage 4½ stars.
- The Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2013 rated the Rudera Syrah 2010 vintage 4½ stars.
- Rudera Syrah 2011 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2014 edition
- Rudera Syrah 2012 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2016 edition
- Rudera Syrah 2013 rated 4 in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2017 edition
- Rudera Syrah 2014 rated 4 in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2019 edition
The Rudera Syrah 2017 is a rich, dark delicious wild horse of a wine, bursting with a nose of plums, blackberries and ripe red cherries, elegantly integrated with hints of smoky bacon and new leather aromas. Bold and full-bodied on the palate, with a touch of black pepper and a lingering creamy mocha finish, classically encapsulated by maturation in new French Oak barrels.
Drinking well now and will reward two to six years in bottle.
Rudera Syrah pairs well with big meat dishes such as springbok steaks with a rich plum sauce or barbequed beef or even duck. It will also match well with hearty dishes such as winter stews and potjiekos.
In The Vineyard
Grapes were sourced from Simonsberg vineyards in Stellenbosch. All these vineyards are trellised on a four-wire Perold system. Drip irrigation is available to combine canopy management with stress management.
About The Harvest
Handpicked grapes were brought in late in February at 24,6° Brix.
In The Cellar
Sorting was done in the vineyard, followed by bunch selection in the cellar before crush.
The pH was 3.2 with a titratable acid of 7,4 g/l.
Total production was 6,4 tons per hectare (43hl/ha).
Rudera Syrah 2017
Rudera Syrah 2014
Rudera Syrah 2013
Rudera Syrah 2012
Rudera Syrah 2011
Rudera Syrah 2010
Rudera Syrah 2009
Rudera Syrah 2006
Rudera Syrah 2005
Rudera Syrah 2004
Rudera Syrah 2003
Rudera Syrah 2002
Rudera Syrah 2001