Accolades for Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon Wines:
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 scored 90+/100 in Robert Parker, Jr’s The Wine Advocate Issue 145; and 90/100 in Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar Issue 107. John Platter South African Wines Guide 2002 rated the 2000 vintage 4 stars.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 followed with a 91 in The Wine Spectator Weekly of 5 August 2004 and 4½ stars in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2005.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 vintage was awarded 5 stars in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2007; and scored 90+/100 in Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar March / April 2007 Issue.
- The Wine Spectator awarded the Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 vintage 90/100 in the April 30, 2007 Issue; and Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2009 scored this vintage 4 stars.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2009; The Wine Spectator, April 2009 scored the Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 91/100
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2010.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 received 4 stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2011.
- In May 2012, the Wine Enthusiast gave a rating of 91 points for the elegant Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 and singled it out as an Editor’s Choice – a distinction awarded to but a few select wines of excellent quality.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2013.
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2014 edition
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 scored 4½ stars at The Christian Eedes Top Ten Cabernet Sauvignons for 2013
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2015 edition
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2017 edition
The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 started out opaque with a vivid, purple rim and then changed to a deep ruby wine, with wonderful intensity of colour. A nose of great depth, but at this stage tight-knit. Allow a few minutes in the glass; very attractive bouquet of violets and cedary cigar box notes. The silky tannins are not apparent at first, the rich plummy coffee palate seems chunky and big, but elegant at the same time. The long finish is firmed up by very ripe tannins, culminating in a truly classic Cabernet.
Drinking well now if allowed time in the glass, but will reward, if properly cellared, for the next decade.
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon pairs well with a variety of mushroom and meat dishes such as mushroom risotto or barbecued lamb. The hint of fynbos on the nose and palate opens up pairing with vegetarian dishes such as vegetable lasagne and oven roasted vegetables
In The Vineyard
The fruit of two vineyards, one on shale in Koelenhof, the other on weathered sandstone on the Banhoek side of Helshoogte, went into the Cabernet. Both vineyards are trellised on a four wire perold system. Drip irrigation is available to combine canopy management with stress management. The average age of the vines is eight years, and the quality of fruit should improve every year.
About The Harvest
Handpicked grapes were brought into the cellar on 21 and 22 February at 25,5Âº brix. The pH was 3.4, with a titratable acid of 7,8 g/l. Sorting was done in the vineyard followed by berry selection in the cellar before crush.
Our total production was 4,8 tons per hectare (33hl/ha) and only 392x6x750ml, plus a few 3-litre bottles were made.
In The Cellar
Sorting was done in the vineyard, followed by berry selection in the cellar before crush. The grapes were fermented with an inoculated yeast (WE372) and pumped over three times per day. Fermentation was at 31ÂºC and lasted five days. Extended skin contact lasted a total of 18 days.
The wine underwent malolactic fermentation in barrel. Only new French oak barrels were used, four Vicard Prestige, two Taransaud and two Saury barrels. The wine was racked using only gravitation. This was done for the first time after malolactic fermentation, and again three months later. The wine matured in barriques for 23 months.
The wine is unfiltered and received only an egg white fining before being bottled.
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2003
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2001
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2000