Accolades for Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon Wines:
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 scored 90+/100 in Robert Parker, Jr’s The Wine Advocate Issue 145; and 90/100 in Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar Issue 107. John Platter South African Wines Guide 2002 rated the 2000 vintage 4 stars.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 followed with a 91 in The Wine Spectator Weekly of 5 August 2004 and 4½ stars in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2005.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 vintage was awarded 5 stars in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2007; and scored 90+/100 in Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar March / April 2007 Issue.
- The Wine Spectator awarded the Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 vintage 90/100 in the April 30, 2007 Issue; and Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2009 scored this vintage 4 stars.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2009; The Wine Spectator, April 2009 scored the Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 91/100
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2010.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 received 4 stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2011.
- In May 2012, the Wine Enthusiast gave a rating of 91 points for the elegant Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 and singled it out as an Editor’s Choice – a distinction awarded to but a few select wines of excellent quality.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2013.
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2014 edition
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 scored 4½ stars at The Christian Eedes Top Ten Cabernet Sauvignons for 2013
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2015 edition
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2017 edition
The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 is an opaque wine with a vivid, purple rim and intense deep ruby hue. Classic lead pencil and cassis flavours on the nose. Allow a few minutes in the glass; very attractive bouquet of violets and cedary cigar box notes. The tannins on this wine is big and ripe and benefit from decanting. Rich plummy cassis fruit on palate and long finish. This is a truly classic Cabernet, can be enjoyed now but will improve over the next ten to 15 years.
Drinking well now if allowed time in the glass, but will reward, if properly cellared, for the next decade or more.
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon pairs well with a variety of mushroom and meat dishes such as mushroom risotto or barbecued lamb. The hint of fynbos on the nose and palate opens up pairing with vegetarian dishes such as vegetable lasagne and oven roasted vegetables
In The Vineyard
The fruit is from this ten year old vineyard on shale in Faure. The vineyard are trellised on a four-wire perold system. Drip irrigation is available to combine canopy management with stress management.
About The Harvest
Handpicked grapes were brought in to the cellar late in February at 24,8Âº brix. The pH was 3.4, with a titratable acid of 7,9 g/l. Sorting was done in the vineyard followed by berry selection in the cellar before crush.
Our total production was 4,6 tons per hectare (33hl/ha) and only 185 x 6 x 750ml were made.
In The Cellar
Sorting was done in the vineyard, followed by berry selection in the cellar before crush. The grapes were fermented with an inoculated yeast (WE372) and punched down three times per day. Fermentation was at 31ÂºC and lasted five days. Extended skin contact lasted a total of 18 days. The wine underwent malolactic fermentation in barrel. Only new French oak barrels were used, all Vicard Prestige barrels. The wine was racked using only gravitation. This was done for the first time after malolactic fermentation, and again three months later. The wine matured in new barriques for 23 months. The wine is unfiltered and received only an egg white fining before being bottled.
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2003
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2001
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2000