Accolades for Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon Wines:
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 scored 90+/100 in Robert Parker, Jr’s The Wine Advocate Issue 145; and 90/100 in Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar Issue 107. John Platter South African Wines Guide 2002 rated the 2000 vintage 4 stars.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 followed with a 91 in The Wine Spectator Weekly of 5 August 2004 and 4½ stars in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2005.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 vintage was awarded 5 stars in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2007; and scored 90+/100 in Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar March / April 2007 Issue.
- The Wine Spectator awarded the Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 vintage 90/100 in the April 30, 2007 Issue; and Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2009 scored this vintage 4 stars.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2009; The Wine Spectator, April 2009 scored the Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 91/100
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2010.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 received 4 stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2011.
- In May 2012, the Wine Enthusiast gave a rating of 91 points for the elegant Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 and singled it out as an Editor’s Choice – a distinction awarded to but a few select wines of excellent quality.
- The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 received 4½ stars in the Platter’s South African Wines Guide 2013.
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2014 edition
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 scored 4½ stars at The Christian Eedes Top Ten Cabernet Sauvignons for 2013
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2015 edition
- Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 rated 4½ in the John Platter South African Wines Guide 2017 edition
The Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2014 is a vision of inky-purple and brick-red hues, bears promise to intense flavours of black currants, bluegum, ripe cherries, cigar box and pencil shavings on the nose that follows through and explodes on the palate with a voluptuous mouthfeel and powerful, gripping finish. This is a true example of a classical Cabernet Sauvignon.
Drinking exceptionally well now and will reward five years in bottle.
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2014 pairs well with a variety of mushroom and meat dishes such as mushroom risotto or barbecued lamb. The hint of fynbos on the nose and palate opens up pairing with vegetarian dishes such as vegetable lasagne and oven roasted vegetables
In The Vineyard
The Cabernet Sauvignon vineyard is situated at the foothills of the Simonsberg mountain west of Stellenbosch and is just a few kilometers from the Atlantic Ocean. The temperatures during the ripening season in January and February average at 23.7 and 21.8 respectively, and with the sandstone-derived gravel soils, conditions are ideal for premium quality Cabernet.
In The Cellar
Sorting was done in the vineyard, followed by berry selection in the cellar before crush. The grapes were fermented with an inoculated yeast (WE372) and pumped over three times per day. Fermentation was at 31ºC and lasted five days. Extended skin contact lasted a total of 18 days. The wine underwent malolactic fermentation in barrel. The wine was racked using only gravitation. This was done for the first time after malolactic fermentation, and again three months later. The wine matured in barriques for 10 months.
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2011
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2009
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2005
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2004
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2003
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2001
Rudera Cabernet Sauvignon 2000